Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Pixel Project: Episode 1

Being the creative, big thinker I am, it was only logical that I come up with something extremely meticulous as my first full blown quilt project.
What could this be you ask?
Here is where this whole thing started:
 Awesome right??? Who wouldn't want to make a quilt depicting a black mage from the Final Fantasy series? And it wouldn't be that hard, just some squares sewn together right?

So I pulled out the scraps my wife had and started sorting, pulling out any blues, blacks, and browns.
Once sorted, I realized I was probably going to need more blue, but I should be ok with everything else.

Then...I started cutting. And cutting. and cutting...seriously I cut for a solid 2 weeks. Thinking I should probably have enough cut do put this thing together I decided I should count how many "pixels" I would need of each color to complete the project. After counting, I wanted to cry. I was nowhere near enough fabric for my blues and blacks.
After a quick trip to the quilt store for a few FQs, I cut some more.
The cutting is now complete, and this is the mess the pixel project has now become:
This is roughly 400 2 1/2 inch squares of various fabrics, and I still haven't decided how to do my background yet.

I have set this project aside for the moment though and am throwing together a scrap quilt as a Christmas gift. Pics of that once I get a little more done.

Thursday, October 14, 2010


Welcome to my journey into quilting! My wife has been quilting for about a year, and i have recently decided to give it a try. I intend to create quilts with more of an art slant, and I have fused my first wall hanging which is waiting for thread painting and quilting. I have also begun to cut the pieces for another quilt which i have dubbed "The Pixel Project" which i will be documenting the steps for here.
My next post will be part one of the pixel project, showing my prep steps amd cutting/layout.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3