Thursday, December 23, 2010

Random Quilt Block

I saw this quilt block in Quilmaker's 100 blocks, and decided to have at it.

It's block #164 - Infinity.

Think it turned out a very masculine block, with the dark toned colors I used.  Was quick and easy to put together and I had fun sewing it up.

Monday, December 20, 2010

WIP - American Heritage Quilt

I saw this pattern on Robert Kaufman's website, and knew I needed to make it.  So, I asked my BIL color and pattern preferences and started buying fabric.

Here is the first 1/3 of the quilt, up on the design wall.

Now that it's all cut, the piecing goes pretty quick, so I can't wait to get more done on it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First completed top!

That's right the gift quilt is now a completed top!
I also got the back made, and last night laid it on the floor and put tons and tons of pins in it to prepare for quilting(I don't have the confidence, or walking foot, to quilt it myself so my beautiful wife is doing it)

Here are a couple of pics to show the progress.

Lots of basting

My next project is another gift...I really like the pattern I chose, and I can't wait to see it come together...

More later!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Current wip

Here is the quilt I am currently working on the blocks are made from various scraps cut using the template from my wife's fan quilt. I then pieced these together in six piece blocks and once they were sewed and ironed, cut them down to my block size.
The empty space in the middle will contain a special block that i can't reveal until after Christmas, as I don't want to ruin the suprise.
I'm not quite sure what I am thinking by giving my very first quilt as a gift, but hopefully he likes it anyway.

The pixel project is still calling my name, but it will probably remain on the back burner until after the holidays as i have another gift after this one.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Pixel Project: Episode 1

Being the creative, big thinker I am, it was only logical that I come up with something extremely meticulous as my first full blown quilt project.
What could this be you ask?
Here is where this whole thing started:
 Awesome right??? Who wouldn't want to make a quilt depicting a black mage from the Final Fantasy series? And it wouldn't be that hard, just some squares sewn together right?

So I pulled out the scraps my wife had and started sorting, pulling out any blues, blacks, and browns.
Once sorted, I realized I was probably going to need more blue, but I should be ok with everything else.

Then...I started cutting. And cutting. and cutting...seriously I cut for a solid 2 weeks. Thinking I should probably have enough cut do put this thing together I decided I should count how many "pixels" I would need of each color to complete the project. After counting, I wanted to cry. I was nowhere near enough fabric for my blues and blacks.
After a quick trip to the quilt store for a few FQs, I cut some more.
The cutting is now complete, and this is the mess the pixel project has now become:
This is roughly 400 2 1/2 inch squares of various fabrics, and I still haven't decided how to do my background yet.

I have set this project aside for the moment though and am throwing together a scrap quilt as a Christmas gift. Pics of that once I get a little more done.

Thursday, October 14, 2010


Welcome to my journey into quilting! My wife has been quilting for about a year, and i have recently decided to give it a try. I intend to create quilts with more of an art slant, and I have fused my first wall hanging which is waiting for thread painting and quilting. I have also begun to cut the pieces for another quilt which i have dubbed "The Pixel Project" which i will be documenting the steps for here.
My next post will be part one of the pixel project, showing my prep steps amd cutting/layout.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3